12 week half marathon training: week 2
One week down, 11 to go! After this week, I’m a little concerned my body needs more than 11 weeks to get back into half marathon shape, but let’s hope I can accelerate results when I get back in the gym in Portland.
week 1 recap
I got through the mileage last week (20 miles of running split between four days, 10 miles of walking split between two), though the six mile days were harder than I’d like to admit. Last summer, six miles was my sweet spot, but I realized when I headed out last Tuesday that I hadn’t run six miles since September. Yikes. Still, I’m glad to have met the mileage goals. (I have to confess I didn’t do any ab work on the rest days. Why are ab exercises so excruciatingly dull?)
week 2: the plan
- Monday: 5 miles (2 mile warmup, 2 miles at 10K pace, 1 mile cool down)
- Tuesday: 4 miles
- Wednesday: long walk and abs
- Thursday: hill workout (1 mile warmup, 12 stair repeats, 1 mile cool down)
- Friday: long walk and abs
- Saturday: 7 miles
- Sunday: rest day
this week’s goals
Since I started getting back into shape in Barcelona, I’ve been so focused on just being consistent that I’ve forgotten what it’s like to push my running pace. This week, I’ll try to push myself without letting my mind freak out and convince me I’m not capable.
- My cross training days really aren’t adequate right now, and I’m looking forward to lifting weights back in Portland (which should also help with some of my speed concerns … my legs just aren’t that strong right now.)
- I’m feeling some hip/IT pain and trying to be mindful of stretching, though I really need my foam roller!
Any Barcelona runners reading this? I’m putting together a list of my favorite running routes in the city. Tell me yours!