12 week half marathon training: week 1
If you’ve been reading my blog for the Barcelona posts, I hope you’ll stick around for the running posts. I still have lots to share about Barcelona – and Tenerife! – but I’ll be writing more about running since I’ve gotten reacquainted with my love for it.
Today marks day one of my 12 week half marathon training plan, and I’ll try to post each week’s schedule in advance, if only to wrap my head around the week ahead (and hold myself accountable once the week ends), but I also hope it helps if you’ve got your sights on a fall race. (In the Portland area? Wanna join our Wine Country Half team? Speak up!)
week 1: the plan
- Monday: 4 miles; 4 x 20 second strides
- Tuesday: 6 miles (2 mile warmup, 3 miles at slightly-slower-than race pace, 1 mile cool down)
- Wednesday: long walk & ab work
- Thursday: 4 miles; 4 x 20 second strides
- Friday: rest day
- Saturday: 6 miles easy
- Sunday: long walk & ab work
this week’s goals
Quite frankly, I just want to make it through the workouts this week. Since I started running again in February (after a 4-month running drought), I haven’t really been pushing myself (in terms of pace or distance). Instead, I’ve been focusing on making running a regular part of my week again. I haven’t run 6 miles since September (the shame!) – and I’ve been running every other day, not back-to-back – so I simply want to complete back-to-back runs and Tuesday’s and Saturday’s 6 milers without bitching.
- My cross training days for weeks 1-3 will look kind of paltry until I’m back in Portland, when I’ll add some weights classes and yoga and Zumba (yay!).
- I’m basing my 12-week program around this one by Competitor.
- If you like what you see here, feel free to use it, modify it, run with it, but don’t hold me responsible for it. I’m not a coach or personal trainer or even a very good runner.
Who else is training for a half marathon? Which training plan are you using? How are you holding yourself accountable?